Wednesday 12 May 2010

The way I talk

I realized a few days ago just how much I communicate with music and lyrics. For example I'm very careful about what I play around people, not because I'm worried they won't like the song but because of what the song says and in case I'm communicating something unintentional.

I actually find speech pretty hard sometimes, especially when the depression is raging. It can be difficult to verbally convey what's inside and other times it feels like the link between my brain and my mouth is broken or has shut down and needs to 'repair'. I find tools like text messaging, writing and sign language very useful during those times and of course, music. My body language often speaks loud and clear to people too in that they know something is wrong even if it's not specific and it's a helpful start.

Imitating lines from films isn't something I do very often, rarely in fact but I have done it in the past. As a kid, I used to imitate noises like the ones the Skeksis made in The Dark Crystal. I have also been known to come out with fitting Blackadder quotes to fit funny situations but no one really minds or notices because they think it's funny and they know what I'm referring to.

A lot of human communication is non-verbal anyway. I think for me personally, I rely on it a lot more than your average person because of the aspergers. I am not great at reading body language in others though (unless I know them quite well) so amusingly, I rely on other peoples speech to convey what they're thinking/feeling.

Not surprisingly, the hardest thing about sign language for me to learn is the body language part and the facial expressions heh. I don't know loads of BSL but I'm trying to learn the odd word here and there when I can.

Jak

No comments:

Post a Comment