Wednesday 26 May 2010

Quick update

I meant to post last week but I've not been well on the mental health front lately due to a lot of stresses.

My biggest news is that I managed to get a small part time job in an Oxfam book shop. For any readers not in the UK, Oxfam is a charity that helps impoverished countries and communities to help themselves. They're big fair trade advocates too. Anyway, it's only 2 afternoons a week at the moment but I may ask for another shift because I'm enjoying it. There is something so nice and relaxing about working in a book shop. We sell records/cd's/videos too and some fair trade stuff like tea and coffee. It's nice to donate my time for a good cause and it's also helping me too. It'll give me some much needed work experience, something to do during the week and help my people skills. The manager is very understanding about my aspie and mental health stuff and I believe there are one or two others who work there with similar things. I also get on well with my co-workers and one or two of them asked about my name which led me onto my gender and they were very accepting and awesome about it. One of them is on the board of the lesbian and gay christian association (I think that's what it's called) which is also cool.

I have also gotten back into listening to the radio again. Mostly it's at night so I end up listening to the BBC World Service which does have some very interesting programmes on it and good news programmes. Sometimes I listen to Radio 1 or just cycle through random stations when I fancy a change but I mostly stick with WS. I forgot how much I love listening to the radio. I would like to invest in an old working wireless when I have the funds so I can listen to it in style. It's a nice side interest that ties in with my World War interest.

I was thinking what word or phrase I prefer for that sort of thing. I don't like passion or obsession much but I do like special interest but that's exactly what it is.

Anyway, I'm off to listen to the radio.

Jak

No comments:

Post a Comment